DB-MAIN is a free of charge data-modeling and data-architecture tool. It is designed to help developers and analysts in most data engineering processes, including:
- Design processes: requirement analysis, conceptual design, normalisation, schema integration, logical design, physical design, schema optimisation, code generation.
- Transformations: schema transformation, model transformation, ETL.
- Reverse engineering and program understanding: schema analysis (COBOL, CODASYL, IMS, IDMS, SQL, XML, ...), code analysis, data and data flow reverse engineering.
- Maintenance, evolution and integration: database migration, database evolution, impact analysis, database integration and federation, data wrapper design and generation.
- And many other domains like temporal and active databases, datawarehouse, XML engineering, ...
DB-MAIN also includes meta-modeling components that allow its users to develop new functions and extend its repository.